I won’t lie to you: Cake Wrecks’ success has been more of a surprise to me than anyone. I didn’t set out to write a successful blog; it sort of happened by accident. So, with that caveat, here’s the best advice I can offer you:
- Don’t do it for the money. Odds are you won’t make much.
- Write about what you love, not what you think will be popular. It takes time to gain a readership, and if you don’t love your content you’ll get discouraged.
- Do everything yourself, if possible. You’ll learn more that way.
- Don’t spend money on your blog until your blog is making you money. There’s no reason to buy custom banners or advertising until your blog is off the ground.
- Don’t compromise your principles. That can mean a lot of things, from the kind of language and advertising you use to what you write about. Just don’t try to be all things to all people – be yourself. Honesty and integrity will always pay off in the end.